Author Topic: Oud or Darbuka? which is better?  (Read 1464 times)

Nurahan Nori

• View Profile
Oud or Darbuka? which is better?
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
I am very confused in what should I take more interest in? I really enjoyed playing both but currently I have to select one as I am working in group where I can play only one. At the moment thinking of going with Oud but I want your suggestion guys.

Amil Maqbool

• View Profile
Re: Oud or Darbuka? which is better?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
If you want to use it as a single player then Oud is much easier while Darbuka is definitely not all that simple, hence we should go with Oud, but as an whole group of people, it is definitely Darbuka that I really like and enjoy above all.

hylian_shieldmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
As I said in another thread, there is no answer about which instrument is better, because there is no best instrument. Every person will have a different answer about which instrument they think is the best :)

As for which one you personally should focus on for your band, that depends. Which instruments are the other people playing? For example, if your band already has a durbakke player, then I would say to focus on the oud. It depends on which instruments your band will need to play the music you choose.

It's not uncommon in bands for the musicians to play more than one instrument, and switch between instruments for different songs. So if you like playing both, then you can still play both :)

vegg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
There really isn't a good answer to this question, considering the two instruments are so different.  The question is really about what appeals to you more.  Do you like playing more rhythmic or more melodic instruments?  Also, what does your group's music need more?  Are you looking to add a rhythmic component or a melodic component to your music?

elmarianexx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »
I think that if I was on your place I would go with Oud. It's quite easier (like others said) to play that instrument than the Darbuka.