Author Topic: Problem with the oud and humidity?  (Read 1291 times)

james

• View Profile
Problem with the oud and humidity?
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:09:34 AM »
I recall reading about this problem once, it seems that among the most common issues an oud owner can have is keeping the oud away from humidity.
These instruments are built in dry climate countries, so exporting them into not-so-dry climate countries can turn out to be quite a problem.

So, what does everyone here do to preserve their oud the best way possible?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive!

Just_Dan

• View Profile
Re: Problem with the oud and humidity?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:02 AM »
Humidity is a common problem for all wooden instruments, not just the oud.
So, I think the best option is to not keep it in it's case 24/7, even if you don't play it. It's good to let it 'breathe' from time to time, it helps!
:) Dan :)

Guyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:30:03 AM »
For problems with humidity, a good case is a must! One that protects the instrument, so wherever you buy your case from, make sure it has a protective layer! And your oud should be safe.
Home is where the heart is :)

AlbertoRossi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:19:14 AM »
Case, yes, I agree. But also, we should take the instruments out 'for a walk' from time to time. I don't play my oud everyday, but I live in a very humid country - Italy... so you know.. keeping it inside the case all the time is not a good idea!

Al-anoud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
I think protection is must and thatís where the role of case is so important, it is not seen as too valuable and I often find people just purchasing Oud without case and thatís the worst thing to do, I believe if we have the right case then it wonít create problem even with humidity.