Author Topic: Where to find a good teacher?  (Read 3073 times)

DrummerGuy

• View Profile
Where to find a good teacher?
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:58:55 PM »
Where are the best places to find teachers?  Can they be found here?  Iíve just started taking up the drum and I want to learn.  The problem is, Iím having a difficult time finding a teacher.

Drumboy

• View Profile
Re: Where to find a good teacher?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:40 AM »
Well I will better advice to check on internet as their many teachers are available who can teach us and give some valuable information which will help us to lean it.

Omar Madni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:54 AM »
Frankly speaking I have not been able to find a good teacher because they either have huge charges which I canít afford or they donít really look professional, so whatever I have learned is with help of my Father, as he is a very experience player but otherwise Itís very difficult to find a good teacher.

Al-Abbasi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:39 PM »
You will rarely find a teacher instead check Google for help or YouTube, itís the best place from where you will be able to learn A to Z and I donít think there is anything which you canít learn from YouTube, itís definitely the best place for anyone to learn from.

Habib ul hamdi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:58:18 AM »
There are hardly any place to properly learn these, itís like these amazing instruments are losing their worth and there is no one interested in teaching the new generation this art, itís really sad to see it happening, so we have to learn mostly from online, but just a question from others whether Youtube is good for learning or not?

Kalasinar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
I started learning online as living in the Western part of the world i have found it difficult to find a teacher of any sort. Not many people i know have even heard of the darbuka before sadly :(

Youtube videos did help me for a short time but inevitably the available tuition became inconsistent. It is then that you find yourself bouncing between different tutorials with different players teaching differing things. Yes it is good to learn a variety of techniques and methods but i feel that where the internet is concerned you have to be very careful of erroneous instruction. Having had professional drumming instruction and tuition in my youth, i also appreciate structure and focus in learning an instrument - something that i find the internet cannot provide because the lessons fizzle out and you have to look elsewhere.

When i came to this hurdle i did some research and found some good tutorial recommendations on http://www.arabicdrum.co.uk. On that site he mentions the Faisal Zedan instructional dvd which i eventually bought and am currently learning from. I'm finding it very clear and structured, and i think there is also a follow-on dvd available too so i can continue learning. Here is the link - http://www.dhavir.com. They also sent me a free cd of arabic music featuring the darbuka which i really enjoy listening to and is really inspiring!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:49:36 AM by Kalasinar »

Kdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
Videos and online are "OK" but you really need the feedback of an instructor who can give you feedback on your sound and your technique.  I found my instructor via association through a drum circle that she and her husband facilitated.  Since then we have grown into a group that drums for a belly dance class and a performance troupe.  Find a local belly dance group see if they know anyone who plays, or the local music store that does instruction. Check out drum circles and ask around for someone, even ask around for a riqq or tar player because they will probably know someone else who plays and or teaches.  Once you know you have your technique and sound down, then it is much easier to do the videos or online.   The other issues I have experienced is sometimes the audio quality in videos/online is dismal, you don't hear the correct sound being played. 

Skhoury23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 05:10:22 PM »
I just started playing a few months ago, and am in the same boat as you. For the time being, I really like Amir Naoum's DVD lessons. He is very clear and to the point. You can buy the DVD online. It is called "Doumbek Technique and Rhythms for Arabic Percussion, with Amir Naoum."

http://www.amazon.com/Doumbek-Technique-Rhythms-Arabic-Percussion/dp/B000GJ26GG