Author Topic: help with my new darbuka !! (Hitting the rim)  (Read 139 times)

david

• View Profile
help with my new darbuka !! (Hitting the rim)
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:58:13 AM »
Hello,

I finally got my first darbuka last week, in a little store in the Jerusalem market
(I know it's not the best place to find a good one, but I thought I'd find an OK one for a good price...)
So I started listening to classes on Youtube, but I got a problem very fast:
Here for example, I guess his left hand hits the rim with fingers 4-5 and the back of the 1... but when I do it, the sound isn't quite  as powerful, and we barely hear it! 
Is there a technique that I didn't get?
Could it be a problem with my rim that would be too thick? Or do I just have to change a little bit the screws maybe??

thanks for your help !
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:15:51 AM by dHuGo »

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: help with my new darbuka !!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
Hi david, you're welcome. - Don't worry, you need at least some weeks of training to get clear sounds. And you may improve your skills by years..!

Let's look your drum first: It maybe staying untuned coming from bazaar only. To proof the state of the skin, slightly press in it's middle with one fingertip or thumb.
Look the reaction: If whole skin sags, it is too weak, otherwise you'd see some hollow around your finger, while skin actually stays streched up to the edge!

Please read my tuning advice!

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: help with my new darbuka !! (Hitting the rim)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
Next, how to learn the sounds:
  • Begin with open strokes only:
    Doum (D), Tekka (TK).
  • When you can do strong D while TK sounds similar each to each other, you may continue with closed strokes:
    Grab, Slap and closed TK....
  • Then try to modulate TK from sound open tone to whispering sounds or loud closed ones at the other end.
  • And when you mastered this, then I'd recommend you, to continue with muffled tones like those effect, Aviel is showing in the video.

So, I'm looking forward, you'll become a great drummer!
See you...