Author Topic: How many finger techniques are there?  (Read 3083 times)

AlbertoRossi

• View Profile
How many finger techniques are there?
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:33:13 AM »
I know there are quite a few finger techniques used to pay the darbuka, can someone explain some of them or at least share a good video with how it's done? I don't even know how many finger techniques are there.. but I know playing the darbuka is all about finger technique.

Keisha

• View Profile
Re: How many finger techniques are there?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »
Yikes, I have no idea! This sounds like a question for experts, not amateurs :D
What I know for sure is there's the one split finger technique and there's the two split finger techniques (two hands). But other than that, let's just wait for the experts :D
:)

Saad Ayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:41:19 AM »
Yeah even I am slightly confused because I am very passionate about Darbuka, but I am not much experienced, so itís tough to say much about this technique but it surely looks very classical, so itís not going to be easy to learn this for new comers.

Abdullah Xavier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
I donít know the exact figure but I feel there are many and itís impossible to even remember all those, I have learned Split Finger technique from YouTube and there are many more, but I find it very tough to remember all, so I just focus on one.

Abdul Shams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
Nice to know that mate, I have watched a lot of video on YouTube about Split Finger technique but never seen a live performance of this, I have witness a lot of plays where they have done various style of finger technique but never seen this type before.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
Hi Alberto, I'm afraid there is no answer to your question...

Playing techniques actually depends of how your instrument is built, of your musical interests and of your personal abilities. The darbouka is a very various instrument, you may do with your fingers a lot on it, that's right. - Though it's really important to work out a solid base first. Here's something on basic strokes:
http://forum.arabinstruments.com/doumbek-advice-tips-questions-lessons/what-are-the-darbuka-tones/

Learn this and thereafter you will not be confused about various new techniques because you should know wich one may really fit your style!

Saqeef Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »
You made a really valid point that our focus must be to get the normal stuff right and once we done that then it becomes all so much easier to go ahead to learn these techniques, but my question is still what Alberto asked, as just to know how many exactly are there? I believe in something like 5-6.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »
 ;D
Ya Saqeef, you might try to get a count with this video: