Author Topic: Malfouf  (Read 180 times)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Malfouf
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
Hello all!  The ever popular Malfouf rhythm.  Looking at the base structure of this rhythm we have:

D**T**T*

And the very common ornate way we have:

DkkTkkTk - with the common hand pattern being Right left left Right left left Right left.  For ease of spelling out the entire words well just write RllRllRl (capital letters being emphasized, or accented).

However, I find myself playing this rhythm much smoother with I use an alternate hand pattern.  I like to use the following:

RlrLrlRl - again the capital letters having the accents.  So the rhythm is the same, but the hand pattern is different.  Is this a common thing is the Arabic drumming realm, or am I doing a no-no and would laughed out of a drumming circle if ever I were in one?

Thanks.

(p.s. - of course this hand pattern would not work with the Karachi rhythm :0)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:11:40 PM by bsfloyd »

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Malfouf
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »
LOL

Let's start from the end: Your P.S. - Why not?!

When you're able to articulate your sounds properly and provide smooth playing around some variations no one would blame you.

The point is that students drill a Ka similar to Tak on Darbouka from the beginning. Doum and Slap with weak hand is master class. So it cannot be wrong what you're doing.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:34 PM »
Very true!  Im still working on mastering my left hand Doum.  It is getting better... :)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
Breakthrough!  Not only have I now got the Karachi rhythm with alternating hands, but I also got the more intricate Khaleegee rhythm as well  8)

Now to work on them slaps....