Author Topic: Practice makes perfect?  (Read 1554 times)

Shiek Suleman

• View Profile
Practice makes perfect?
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
All the teachers and people that I have ask for some tip they always tell me to practice is the key and that makes me perfect, but there are many times where I feel no different at all with practice, so is it really true that practice makes perfect or is it just common thing to say?

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Practice makes perfect?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
This advice is right, but don't think your progress should be same all the time. There are good days and bad days too.
Sometimes I get it in a minute, but mainly I'm trying for a long time and several times to get some stable new effect of it. It's very trickyÖ There is an eastern proverb saying that a master failed more times as an inexperienced tried it at all. This thing matters.  Further good luck!

hylian_shieldmaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
Practise does make perfect. Any art that's worth mastering can take a lifetime, and that includes learning to play music. I know it can feel frustrating sometimes to hear it, but practise and patience are important when you want to learn any art. Slowly you'll start to notice that you're improving, so keep working at it! :)

dHuGo is right, there are good days and bad days. Sometimes when I'm practising music I can do something really well on the first try, and other times I might struggle with that same thing. The amount of practise, and the way you practise, can make a difference as well. I once read an interesting article someone linked to on another music forum I'm a member of, which talks about the practise strategies used by skilled pianists to make their practise sessions more helpful http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/8-things-top-practicers-do-differently/

Sometimes taking a break from practise can be helpful as well. I've heard it said that practising something all day might not actually be as helpful as shorter practise sessions. Taking a break allows your brain to make the new connections needed to remember the new skill you're trying to learn.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:53:57 PM by hylian_shieldmaiden »

Darkjester

• Doum-Tek-Ka-Tek-Ka-Tek-Tek-Ka-Tek-Ka-Tek-Tek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:00:50 AM »
On another forum someone asked something similar regarding hand speed for drum set playing. My response was "Slow is smooth, smooth becomes fast."  Take your time and focus on proper technique now, better to get it down than to try and break bad habits or suffer injuries later.

Learn 3 basic Rhythms competently. Ayoub, Beledi, Saidi. Practice those until you can change back and forth smoothly from them. Get good, clear tones from your D-K-T.. Then slowly add in slaps, still with those same three rhythms. Once you can do that, add finger rolls, still with those same three rhythms. 

Once you can comfortably do those, add an additional rhythm.  Then add snaps.. Wait until you are comfortable at each step before proceeding on to the next step. It may take minutes, or weeks. Do it slowly until you can slowly add speed while remaining clean.

Best of Luck!
The heartbeat is the first rhythm we hear,
The love of a mother in her womb,
The drum is the beat of life.
(me)

Umer ul zaidi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
Practice does make perfect, but then no one is perfect so how can we perfect till then? I would suggest continuing with the practice, but also try to learn more instead of doing things over and over again and will make things working really well.

Habib ul hamdi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »
Practice can make perfect only when we practice with and intensity, if we practice like time pass which is very common for many people then I suppose we are not going to get even near 50% of perfect. I would say we must practice with determination but also we should understand what to practice to make our self-better. Does anyone here know what should we practice? As most people think practice means just playing but thatís far from the reality.