Author Topic: Trouble tuning Sombati drum  (Read 400 times)

OzPingouin

• View Profile
Trouble tuning Sombati drum
« on: July 16, 2019, 03:58:04 AM »
Hi, I've just changed the drum head on my Sombati from GeF to Remo Skyndeep. I can't seem to get the drum to tune. The gap around the edge is even. The head is level with the plate. I've got 2 opposing pegs tuning higher that the others, which are the same tuning. I've seen this on drums before. No matter what I do it's still the same each time. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? Many thanks in advance.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Re: Trouble tuning Sombati drum
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »
Hello Oz and welcome to the forums!!

Did you mark with tape or the like where the rim and body were so that when assembled again it would be the same?  Some drums have issues if they are not aligned back up, some don’t.

Are any of the screws stripped out?  I wonder why some screws are higher than the others.  On my classic GEF, there is a very slight gap between the rim and body - I have it tuned pretty high.  It has a Remo orange swirl head on it.  I like the head but I’m considering a Skyndeep or Renaissance.

OzPingouin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 06:06:20 AM »
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I lined the plate up with the drum. The plate has holes that have been drilled then filled in. Don't know if that makes a difference. I put it back how I found it. I noticed the screws are drilled differently. I'm thinking they don't use a drill press during manufacture for this.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
Hi Oz, unscrew the head and have a look at skin. The ring arround isn't closed, there should be a gap. Look wether the glue is ok at weak place.
About year ago I'd had same problem: The glue was there broken and I had to change skin again.

@bsfloyd, a GeF?!? - So you made it...! :)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:15:55 PM »
@bsfloyd, a GeF?!? - So you made it...! :)

Ha ha, sure did!  Just received it a short while ago.  And, for Father’s Day I was gifted a Savvas Black Widow from the wonderful family :). Two wonderful drums!!

@ Oz, please let us know how you make out with dHuGo’s tip...

OzPingouin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:56:07 AM »
Hi guys. Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate them.   The skin looks fine. I've tried every which way to tune but it's still the same each time. I made sure the drum head was sitting evenly on the drum before and after putting the plate back on. Hard to do. I'm thinking it slips as I tighten the screws. Though it has the same tension problems in the same place each time. Any more suggestions please? Thanks.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »
Skin looks fine - that makes me happy.  Probably its overstretched a bit in one direction. In that case you need to stretch it again but slightly.

First, when you put a Remo skin on your drum do the gap of the ring in the middle between two screwholes.Start screwing from opposite site and tighten those two screws beside the ring gap one after the other to avoid bad tensions while of first contact. When plate is tight over skin it doesn't matter a lot.

Wich tuning system do you prefer: "going arround periphery" or "cross over"?! - Since the skin isn't that new, I'd do it cross over now, it's more accurate. Level the plate and tighten the skin until you can get a first sound from it. Then let it rest for a while.

Thereafter you 1st should level the plate by sounding. That I may explain next time.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:12:34 PM »
Just to confirm, is the new Remo head the correct size?  I know Remo makes a few diameters of the Skyndeep - just wanted to confirm it is the same size as the old head.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:34:52 AM »
I'm thinking it slips as I tighten the screws. Though it has the same tension problems in the same place each time. Any more suggestions please? Thanks.

Hello Oz - I just wanted to confirm one more thing.  When you say slips, are you referring to the head slipping or the screws slipping?  If you are referring to the head, as mentioned above please confirm the head diameter.  I just visited the Remo website and I see they offer 4 different sizes for their darbuka / doumbek Skyndeep head - 8.0”, 8.625”, 8.75”, and 9.0”.  Looking at the Darbuka Planet website, they show that the GEF standard metal sombati drums have a 9.0” head, but I would double check this - lay the new head directly over the old head and see if the two are indentical in diameter.

Then, there is always a chance that the new Remo head could just be a dud.  I have encountered bad Remo drum kit heads from time to time.  They are mass produced.  I wish Evans would make darbuka heads.  I have a feeling they might be slightly better than Remo if they did.

Now, if the screws are slipping this would be a completely different issue.  However, seeing how you just removed them not long ago to replace the old head, I doubt this is the case.

Please report back confirming the above - I’m sure we can find the problem between the three of us :)

Oh, just thought of one more thing to ask - do you have the screws bottom’d out on the drum?  Meaning are they screwed all the way in to the point they can’t go down any further?  Does the rim fully touch the body of the drum?  In normal conditions there should be a slight gap between the rim and the body.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:39:39 AM by bsfloyd »

OzPingouin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 03:48:33 AM »
Hi guys. Thanks for your all your comments and advice. I contacted AI (before I saw you posts) and they advised similar - to reheat the skin where it's tight. That helped a lot. It's closer in tune now. I just need to tweak it a bit more and it should be fine. It's definitely a 9" head. The other sizes wouldn't fit at all. It doesn't seem to be slipping bsfloyd, it just wasn't probably quite evenly stretched. I will tune with the cross over method now dHuGo. I use both methods but as you say, at this stage it's best to use that method I think. Thank you both so much for taking the time to comment and make suggestions. I really appreciate it.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 04:51:02 AM »
Nice, the truth is I'm used to tune my Sombaty every time.
1st a Microdoum (with one finger) in center of skin. If that sounds good it's all ok.
2nd Otherwise I hit the rim middle between two screws to find in wich place distortion actually is.
3rd Same over related two screws. I losen a bit that with higher pitch.
4th Same procedure from 1st point until it works, most time one screw only is to tight.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
Sorry guys - I’ve been off the grid since my last post.  We just moved houses and we are still waiting for WiFi hook up.  I happened to be on a local hot spot right now.

Glad to hear you are getting your new Remo head worked out, Oz!.  Seems like some nice folks at AI.  I need to buy my next drum from them :)