Author Topic: Tuning Question  (Read 93 times)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Tuning Question
« on: September 22, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
Hello!!

Back again with a tuning question this time.  This question is related to the GEF Standard Classic that I have with a Remo Orange Mist head.  Great workhorse of a drum!  Nothing flashy here, but a simple drum with a great sound.

First off, the drum sounds good as shipped.  It is tighter (higher pitched) than I would normally like, but at the same time is good to have an alternatively tuned drum than my others.  One thing I noticed is that the skin flushness varies about around the ring.  Now when I say this, I am talking very slight differences - like 2mm differences.  Example being that it is flush around 3/4 of the rim and dips down a couple of millimeters around the remaining 1/4 of the rim.  My question is, are these shells / rings made so tightly tolerance that the skin should be perfectly flush all the way around the rim?  Should I loosen the dipped down 1/4 portion to level the skin?

Thanks!

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Tuning Question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
Hi, I have not seen yet, what you describe here. - I'd prefer a drum with flush skin anyway. What means the shell should have an leveled edge on the top. It seems to me that your drum might be finished not the best way. - What I mean is a manufacturing fault which harmed a part of that edge, and they have grinded it down about those 2 mm to do a new contour!

But I understand you have no distortions in sounds?! Skin is tight all over the rounding? - It might be ok than, skin seems to be stretched in limits, and Remo skins usually are longlasting ones. - But I would avoid to put a GEF skin on, because they don't stop stretching: With your configuration there should be at least two sections, where skin could be overstretched before time!

With this drum you can do all at the edge in the 3/4-flush-part, so I would hold the 1/4-dipped-part on my knee while playing.

Lose skin will cause distortion, don't losen it, ok!? - Tuning depends on the number of screws you have. With a 6-screws-system one or two screws may fall in that 1/4-sector.

Anyway, with a new skin I'd start from the pair of screws on flush side wich's nearest to dipped side both. They mark the line, where skin is fully to stretch. Level pitch on both ends of that line. Then level pitch on the opposites and all screws in between too, if they are. That is main area to get best sound possible. The more pairs of opposite screws fall in that region the better. You should get same pitch beneath all of those screws. The other opposite pair(s) tune from dipped side to flush side. Seek a tone with a slightly lower to main pitch on flush side and than tune it up with dipped side screws. Finetuning provide on flush side again. - That should be most careful way, not harming skin more than needed.

Take notice the last lines stay less stretched than others. - When you feel skin stretches by time you may do same procedure from the end because all of your reserve is here - and by the way look for a new skin...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:34:10 AM by dHuGo »

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the information, dHuGo.  I think it is just minute differences here.  Looking closer at the drum in certain light, the gap between the rim and body is also not even - in fact it is relevant to the differences in the skin non-flushness.  I think I will try a bit of leveling, but focusing more so on the tone of the drum.

I have thought about getting the natural looking Remo Skyndeep, but I like the Orange mist as well on this drum  so I think I just need another drum that comes with the Skyndeep :D

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »
Oh yes, the Skyndeep. - I have one Fishskin looking on my Sombaty Plus, and I have another one in spare, waiting that the Power Beat gets broken on my New Generation!

Sometime I had had idea, change working skins on one body.
I'd hopefully find some difference and might change moods before event. - That's all not real. - To have some drums in different configurations is a big plus! You learn a lot on different sounds.
 :)
After the GEF skin, that time, I decided next to install Remo.
I feeled lost with that skin. All sounds came weak. All screws felt be tightened to the end, I had no force to do increase, I was afraid to damage the threads of my beloved and only new drum. I had a step of 1mm around edge, playing was extremely uncomfortable, so I may guess, that skin didn't stretch until the end. - A big lag in experience. I tried it for another week, then decided to get a Black Power Beat on. This skin fits great, sounds great. I had that lot fun I attended to have with it.
 ;D
Then, feeling I became more experienced, I would try the Skyndeep again.
What do you think?! - Now it is impossible to divide Power Beat skin from the plate at all - only when I'd  destroy the skin! So I'm looking out, skin has already stretch marks, but its stable for several years now. I don't see the end.
 ;)
Meanwhile Remo has improved Skyndeep series - those different mists weren't when I bought my drum (I like the Turquoise one by the way). -  So really, drumming is more than read books. It's heartblood.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:58:17 PM by dHuGo »

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »
Interesting experience you had - thanks for sharing that.  It makes me wonder if Remo was new to the darbuka at the you had experienced this.  They seem to be much more popular now so maybe they are getting their bugs worked out.  I always wonder what if Evans would make darbuka (and other middle eastern drums) heads.  I very much like their drum kit heads and I think they could likely do a good job.  I have no experience with their Conga or bongo heads though.  You are a conga player, arenít you?

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:09:05 AM »
Yes, it's right. - I started with Congas in a back room of our Salsa school about 10 years ago. I tried to bundle two of my interests:
1. I had an idea to find some hardware for an objective proofing of effects from my Tai Chi experience (especially the so called "Silk reeling").
2. I'd like to learn something on latin rhythmics as a Salsa dancer.

So, this learning group is steady at Mondays,  we have a great teacher.  I'm still learning a lot, but I see me an intermediate only - have no hardware by my own. I have no place for big drums at our home. (I have a lot of small drums instead ;) ) I do my drills simply on a table... Our congas in school are Meinl with buffalo head.

Sometimes I try it out what I can find in a store or warehouse. This way I had a look on goat skin and Remo synthetics too. Not really good. - But sorry, I have not any idea on Evans.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:10:36 AM by dHuGo »