Author Topic: Why Darbuka is restricted to certain countries?  (Read 1209 times)

Habib ul hamdi

• View Profile
Why Darbuka is restricted to certain countries?
« on: May 20, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
I have done a lot of traveling to various countries but very few had anything related to musical instruments especially Darbuka, as per rest there was just nothing, so I am sad that why is it restricted to just few countries? I strong feel it’s an art that needs to get spread! What do you think?

hylian_shieldmaiden

• View Profile
Re: Why Darbuka is restricted to certain countries?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
Since it originated in the Middle East, it makes sense that not all countries have them yet. However, with the internet growing rapidly every day, more and more people around the world are starting to discover the durbakke and other Middle Eastern instruments.

I know here in Canada (at least in Ontario where I am), there are many instrument stores that are selling them these days, and they're starting to become more widespread among non-Middle-Eastern Canadians. Some people sell them at festivals here, and I remember seeing a Scottish bagpipe band at a renaissance faire about 11 years ago who had a durbakke player. I have an English friend, living in England, who I told about the durbakke a few months ago, and she's absolutely in love with it now and has 2 of them that she plays all the time! I have an Indian friend living in Dubai who also plays it.

There's a belly dance and music school in Toronto called Arabesque Dance Company that has performed around the world in some high-profile events and small festivals and likes to spread the love of Middle Eastern dance and music around the world. They have a percussion group, a mini-orchestra, and a dance troupe. I've seen them perform in person a few times, and half of their durbakke group is non-Middle-Eastern :)

There's also this really nice orchestra in America I found on YouTube a few months ago that goes by two names, The Michigan Arab Orchestra, and The National Arab Orchestra. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheArabOrchestra/videos Some of their members are non-Middle-Eastern as well; looking at the names of some of the musicians, there are Japanese-Americans and Dutch-Americans and people of other ethnicities in the orchestra. They even teach local school children of any ethnicity about Arabic music :)

I think that it's already getting more popular in other countries, and that, in time, it will be very popular everywhere :D

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Why Darbuka is restricted to certain countries?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:19:25 AM »
Me, I had no idea of a darbuka even in 2009, when we, my wife and me, first met an Arab country. But I alraedy liked its impressive sounds, what I already knowed from arab-turk-pop and some belly dance performances seen rather. I'd had no idea to see me drumming myself that time too. I started with congas only one year later and I had no focus on Arabic music at all but on hot Salsa sounds while dancing it.

An old Turkish man joined our group later saying that he was drumming whole his life but he felt a big lack never to get any musical education with. So he was a selfmade man at all and we all loved him, all of our group. But he stayed with us only a few months then saying he must stop with big drums for his wife and for his own health. Last I'd seen him he came with the darbuka and played a solo to say thank you.
That's first time I've seen a darbuka life and never I can forget that moment! - Thereafter I found a lot of Arabic influence in Latino music and then I decided to get my own darbuka too.

That's my story. I think there is still a gap between our cultures. Much of western people i.e. would think about playing a drum with sticks only. And there is some difference in musical structures like hatmonics and rhythmics too. So I think, it's normal if there is „only” a countable lot of darbuka players in western world…