Author Topic: Why the darbuka hearting me so badly?  (Read 2732 times)

Noyer

• View Profile
Why the darbuka hearting me so badly?
« on: May 15, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
This is totally frustrated!
Every time that i playing the darbuka more than 10 minutes my finger start to heart a lot.
Same case with the part of the hand that strike the doom.
I can see players that play the darbuka hours and i hear any complains.

What is wrong with my playing? Is it normal?
Can it related to my playing technique?

I will be so happy to get some tips. I love this musical instrument and i don't want to quit so early  :-[ :-[

hylian_shieldmaiden

• View Profile
Re: Why the darbuka hearting me so badly?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
It would be hard to tell exactly what the problem might be without some photos of your drum and maybe a video of how you're playing it. But I have a feeling it might just be that, as a newer player, you just need to get used to playing. The people who can play for hours have been playing for years, so their hands are used to it. Sometimes even professionals might use some special tape on their fingers while they play to stop them from hurting - but I wouldn't suggest you do this right now, because if you do your hands won't get used to playing.

I think if you just keep playing, and slowly increase the amount of time you play, you should eventually get used to it :)

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Hey, it's absolutely normal, that playing a hand-drum maybe a little painful in the beginning (same with guitar too...). Think - it's causing enormal stress on your fingertips! So what to do....?!

You may strengthen your fingers some times a day even by the way. Look to this video:

Mainly you only need a surface to hit it with your fingers. It doesn't matter wether it's a table or a book wich you may carry with you. Do it with ease and don't worry about speed: The easier it goes you may increase speed with no problem. So, whenever you have a break, you may training your fingers for a few minutes. That's first.

Next, stop drumming immediatly, when it starts hurting. Take a rest instead. - There are two kinds of pain, you should know: First is lokated in soft parts of your body. This pain is ok. You need to come closer with, it's lowering by time. But be aware, if the joints in your hand are hurting, the tendons too - that may cause serious injuries! It needs to correct your position fundamentally this case!!!

So, hopefully I might help you a little. Please tell something about your progress.

Noyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »
I am so glad to discover this forum.
Thank you very much for your support, i am going to continue with the practice because of you guys.

You make my day!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darkjester

• Doum-Tek-Ka-Tek-Ka-Tek-Tek-Ka-Tek-Ka-Tek-Tek
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:36:26 AM »
In addition, it could be poor hand positioning. You may be striking the edge of the doumbek with the heel of your hand. Where exactly is it hurting you at? The fingers? The palm? The heel?
The heartbeat is the first rhythm we hear,
The love of a mother in her womb,
The drum is the beat of life.
(me)

Umer ul zaidi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
So many things can be the reason behind this, as it could be your hand, as sometimes hidden injuries can lead to this or it could be the instrument itself, so you need to get both check and then see what the problem actually is. Also, can you tell me how long you have been playing?