Author Topic: Is it worth to be a darbuka player?  (Read 4021 times)

aalil

• View Profile
Is it worth to be a darbuka player?
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
Hello..
I have an important questions and will be very happy for some honset answers.
As a beginner who loves the darbuka drum very much i want to know the following:

1) Will it be hard to find a job as a darbuka player (after i will have  the right experience)? I am form Miami.
2) Does a professional darbuka player get paid a suitable salary for every event?

I will be very happy to get some answers from the experience players...

best regards
Halil

Omar Madni

• View Profile
Re: Is it worth to be a darbuka player?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:58:58 AM »
Been completely honest with you itís very tough to get enough to lead a comfortable life, itís obviously worth been a Darbuka player, as itís such an unique art and deserve to be promoted, but itís unfortunate that there are not much payment given on events, so even talented people donít take it all that seriously.

Al-Abbasi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
Passion in my view can make us do anything, so even with been not having salary or any fixed amount, it is still a very passionate work for many, I want to be a Darbuka player, but I am not so passionate to be working without a proper salary, as life goes not go ahead without income.

Saqeef Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
Itís an art and when we are doing something like this then salary / money does not really matter, if we really wish to become serious players then our aim has to be on the performance not the money, itís the only way we will truly justice this art!

Shiek Suleman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Yes, it is worth but we need to be really good at it, i have a friend who gets salary of 1k for every play and usually he has to do 5-6 plays a month, so he is pretty happy with what he is getting, but not everyone can get this much right away.