Author Topic: Mid-East drums  (Read 374 times)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Mid-East drums
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »
Hello gang!  Apologies for my absence, though I have still been drumming away!

I am considering purchasing one of these Mid-East drums and wanted to get opinions on them first:

https://www.ensoulmusic.com/Mid-East-Metal-Doumbek-with-Skyndeep-Head-12-by-20-Inch

I know very little about the company - are these good quality, reputable instruments?

Thanks and drum on!!

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Mid-East drums
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »
Don't know anything - but a drum with that shape I'd had on radar for years! - If it is a drum like in those clips - then WOW, you would get a versatile instrument - best choice!!! - Thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:41:17 AM by dHuGo »

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
Great videos!  I enjoyed them both - both quite different.  Though the Mid-East drums come both with and without jingles, the one I linked to is without.  That same drum is available with jingles however if you want one! ;)

I found that Emin Percussion also has a similar style with somewhat similar shape.... but at a much higher price tag :(

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:30:09 AM »
... absolutely true ... Yes, I'm actually thinking next one of mine should have those jingles.
 :)
By the way it doesn't matter a lot to unscrew the woods - why not?!

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:33:52 AM »

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:40:00 AM »
Once I met Ben Dagovitch with his Mid-East (and the Kalebash) life here in Munich. He came with Yamma Ensemble. OmG - what a performance!!! - But sorry, I have no clip to show you.

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »
I found that Emin Percussion also has a similar style with somewhat similar shape.... but at a much higher price tag :(
You may compare sound and handling here:
http://forum.arabinstruments.com/darbuka-sound-video-clips/great-emin-percussion-doumbek-performance/

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »
Great replies!!!  Iím really starting to like the Mid-East more and more.

I see you posted several videos of the Emin - that looks like the drum I mentioned.  I look forward to watching the videos when Iím not pressed for time, like I am now...

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
Don't worry you are welcome!

How did you come up with the Mid-East, by the way? - ....and how I didn't so...?!?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:28:27 AM by dHuGo »

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 06:21:57 AM »
I found the link to Mid-East Mfg on the Jasís Khafifís middle eastern rhythms web site (which is a great resource by the way and I highly recommend it).  There is a small section on where to find drums and the link to Mid-East is there:

http://www.khafif.com/rhy/

So... the way I understand it, these style drums are more of a Turkish style drum?  The style with the non rounded top and the playing portion of the skin that comes right to the edge?  Almost more of a Tonbak style?

dHuGo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
In my eyes shape of the Mid-Easts is inspired by Iranian Tonbak - only heigth is in different proportion... I see namely the secret of that great sounds in those shape... Since there's a lot of different Turkish drums and I know only this one as Pakistani I'd guess its body and tuning system is adopted from over there.

But I took notice that Emin got a new level with its drums: They made an original Turkish tuning system having proportions like Pakistani one. The lot of screws allows excellent fine tuning, screws and rings are that small you don't feel a disadvantage related to an Egyptian styled edge. - I'm really sure the influence came mainly from those Mid-East drums!

I've had one of named Emins in my own hands in Istanbul last fall and I cannot explain in words that satisfaction what I got from.

...and yes ... the Khafif site ... I learnt a lot from this ... but actually I sticked in great collection of rhythms all the time and didn't look around as you ...
 ;)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »
Iím in envy that you were able to have an Emin in your hands and was able to play it!!  There is absolutely nothing around my area that would give me such opportunity.  I can only imagine how happy you were.  Alas, I need to rely on videos and word of mouth to make purchases.  The Emin drums (as are the Savvas drums) look like pieces of art, but come with a healthy price tag.  The Mid-East drums look like a poor mans version of such, however still seem to be of quality for the blue collar man.  While the quality of the instrument certainly has a say in the instruments voice, Iím sure itís the hands of player that takes lead.  With Fatherís Day coming up soon, I may hint the word about these Mid-East drums :). Now, if they so choose to opt for an Emin.... well, who am I to say no ;)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I just stumbled upon another video and review of the 12Ē with jingles.  I think Iím starting to like the jingles version a bit better...

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
10Ē version :