Author Topic: GEF Standard vs GEF Pearl drums  (Read 368 times)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
GEF Standard vs GEF Pearl drums
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:24:28 AM »
Hello and Happy New Year!!!  I hope 2020 brings us all much happiness and many drumming opportunities!

A question regarding the types of GEF darbuka.  I have a classic GEF plain metal drum.  It is their entry level darbuka with the plain finish - mine is the gold color.  I am curious to know if the GEF mother of pearl drums are of better sound quality or if it is just an aesthetic difference.  I mean, they sure are beautiful looking drums, but do they sound the same as the standard plain aluminum versions?  Is the grade of aluminum different, which I agree could have a noticeable difference in tone, or are they using the same grade of materials in all of their drums?

Thanks!

dHuGo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: GEF Standard vs GEF Pearl drums
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
Hi,
we already had a rich discussion on this topic - years ago! - Please look:

Do mother of pearl doumbeks sound better?

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the link!  I will have a read...

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »
I read the thread, and I had a sure hunch that the weight of the shell had a significant role.  I just know the inner surface of my plain aluminum drum has many porous spots in it, hence the lower price tag of say $130 US dollars.  Yes, it is still a relatively thick shell with a good amount of weight - but if the more expensive pearl drums had a smoother inner surface I would think it would have a better tone.  The photos seen on the websites looks like a smoother inner surface (from what can be seen), but I am looking only at photos and not in my actual hands.

Working in the field of metrology, I know aluminum comes in several various grades, and can be worked with several different finishes.  I would like to think that a drum costing up to $300 more than the plain drums would be using higher quality metals with a higher grade of inner finish work - not just the fancy pearl inlay work alone.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:34:20 PM by bsfloyd »

dHuGo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
Sure, I have three MOP drums. All have a varnish on inner surface, each.

bsfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 07:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation!  This what I had suspected ;)