Author Topic: Daf, Bendir, and Tar... Oh my!!!  (Read 810 times)

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Daf, Bendir, and Tar... Oh my!!!
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Sorry for the bad Wizard of Oz pun, but I couldnít resist :)

Anyway, I wanted to get a better knowledge regarding the frame drums and their role in an Arabic percussion small ensemble.  So, letís say that there is a lead darbuka player blazing out them solos along with the classic rhythms, and there is a classic Riq player adding some jingle and high end sizzle to the mix - of the three listed in the topic (Daf, Tar, Bendir), which would be the most go to frame drum to keep the basics of the rhythms going strong?  I mean, we have the Bendir with itís snare like buzz, the Daf with its jingly jingles, and the Tar with its dry and pure tones.  Which drum is more likely used when?  Is this something commonly decided by region?  Playerís and ensembleís choice?  I am wanting to invest in one these frame drums for the role of keeping the basic rhythm structure going, but I am a bit overwhelmed of the choices.

On another note, what if the trio was only a duo.  What percussion choices would be a good mix?  Letís say darbuka and _______?   Or, Riq and _______?  Or,.... _______ and _______?

Thanks!!

dHuGo

• View Profile
Re: Daf, Bendir, and Tar... Oh my!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 02:05:26 AM »
Hi dear, I'm back now.
Sorry for letting you hang here. I needed to take a breath and get free mind in personal affairs ... and I had to do a lot of new good stuff over and above that.

My relation to frame drums I may explain in your Cooperman topic.

Let me stop for now and tell you a link, what may give you a good overview according  to your question.
Look here:

https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/masters/326/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:07:11 AM by dHuGo »

bsfloyd

• View Profile
Re: Daf, Bendir, and Tar... Oh my!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
I hope all is going well for you!!  Ah, a thesis - downloading now, I look forward to the read...  thanks!!